ZX Spectrum+

After the well known ‘rubber keyed’ Spectrum came the ZX Spectrum+.  I never encountered one during my childhood, probably because they came out a little later, but also because I was perfectly happy with my 48K.  The Spectrum+ is basically a 48K with a ‘proper’ keyboard – nothing wrong with the ‘rubber keys’ ;). Either way I wanted one for my collection, so off to Ebay again, and it wasn’t long before a boxed Spectrum+ was sitting on my bench.

ZX Spectrum+ (Issue 6A)

First impressions were that it was in good condition, but very dirty.  Voltages checked out fine, a good sign, but no picture when I plugged it into my TV.  I decided to perform the standard composite upgrade first given my success with this is in past.  And guess what ?  It worked – another dodgy tv out circuit.

Well that was easy.  Now for the standard future proofing, recapping and replacement of the linear power regulator with a switched regulator.

Recapped and new power regulator

As a final upgrade I fixed a heat-sink to the ULA to improve its chances of working for a few more years.  Pleased with that – fully working mint Spectrum+ Issue 6A from 1984.  The only thing left was a good clean, especially of the keyboard.

I knew it was all going too well – on reinstalling, the keyboard membrane completely failed 🙁 Luckily, as with most Spectrum parts, a new membrane was easily sourced on the internet.

Time for some proper testing.

Proper testing

It was now ready to join my others on the Spectrum shelf …

Job complete.